Thursday, December 04, 2008

Christmas Countdown-Day 4

When I was younger my best friend's mom would make these cookies to add to her "neighbor plates". They were one of my favorites, and still are my favorite Christmas Holiday cookie. Over the years I borrowed her recipe and cookie press several times just so I could also make these.
Once I got married, it didn't take me long to buy my own cookie press and start making my own. Although mine never get as far as the neighbors sometimes, because I eat them all. Ha Ha

Not really, but I do love them, so for Day 4 I thought I'd share. They are just the traditional spritz cookies from the old classic Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

When I get some made for this year, I will post pics then. I can't make them while my kids are at school, or they will kill me! A cookie press is a pretty fun tool you know! :-)

Spritz Cookies

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups margarine or butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp. almond extract (optional)

Stir together flour and baking powder in a separate bowl, set aside. In another bowl, beat margarine 30 seconds until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla, and almond, beat well.
Gradually add dry ingredients to beaten mixture, beating well. Do NOT chill.
Force dough through the cookie press onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Decorate if desired.
Bake at 400* 7-8 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack. Makes approximately 60 cookies.

1 comment:

Hydee said...

Mmmm....you should make these and bring them to the family party. :) I rarely get homemade 'glutenized' cookies anymore! ;)