Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Poor Little Guy!


Well, unfortunating my baby had a visit to the emergency room tonight.

About 4:30 the kids were playing/doing homework, and I was working on the computer. Alyssa and Cade were playing right behind me, when all of a sudden Cade just started crying. She tends to be a little wild with him a lot, and I am CONSTANTLY getting after her. This time however, he just kept fussing.

I comforted him for a while, got him his binky (which he does not get unless he is going to bed), but he still wouldn't seem to calm down. I went in on the couch with him, and got him all comfy. I thought maybe he was just tired and kept waiting for him to fall asleep. He sat there watching Little Mermaid with all of us, and occasionally would point at the screen. I thought again, yes, he must just be tired.

A little after 5:00 Eric walks in, and usually Cade can't wait to get to his dad when he comes home. He came and stood by the couch offering to take him, and Cade just sat there. I told Eric what had happened, so Eric ending up taking him and tried to comfort him too. After that much time had passed, and he was still acting funny, I knew something wasn't right.

In the meantime I had asked Alyssa exactly what had happened and she said his arm got stuck behind his back and he was trying to roll over. I'm not sure if she rolled or laid on him, or tried to help him roll over the wrong way or if he did it to himself. Eric checked his one arm and rolled it around lifting it up and down, and nothing. He proceeded to do the same thing to the other arm, and Cade started screaming. Something was definately wrong with it.

We quickly decided to just take him to the emergency room. If he was that sensitive, he would probably need x-rays. They were gone a little over 2 hours. The doctor considered it a really bad elbow sprain, and put this thick bandage on it so he wouldn't bend it. They also gave him Tylenol w/codeine. The doctor said the x-rays didn't show anything to him that was worse than a sprain, but they would have the radiologist call me in the morning if he saw anything different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy! I hate it when my baby is hurt....I hope he feels better soon.

Mandy said...

I hope he feels better soon!

Field Family said...

Sorry to hear about this. Glad it wasn't broken, but sometimes sprains hurt worse than and actual breaks. Thank goodness for Tylenol with Codeine!!